…And Farming Won’t – Why?

1. The amount of land needed, who owns it and who can use it

Most inhabitants don’t own or control the land they live on, especially in third world countries.  In fact, they have very little land and usually cannot use it for keeping animals or small-scale farming.  However, since SFG requires only 20% of the land for the same harvest, there is always space for a small home garden

2. Soil

Most of the land around the world, again especially in 3rd world countries, is not farmable nor is it possible to improve the soil for plant growing.  Except for large areas that are being farmed, most of the land is unusable.

3. Protection

It is difficult to protect a large home row garden from roaming animals, people and weather.  Because a SFG takes only 1/5th of the space and is basically several 4×4’ boxes, they can easily be protected from all of the above with simple cages or fencing made from either chicken wire or bamboo enclosures.

4. Crops Grown

Most thinking around the world is that a small farm is made up of one or two crops.  A variety for the table is not considered suitable, yet history shows that pioneers and homesteaders lived off of their land by growing a complete variety of crops right around their house.

The Economics

When starting a business – let’s say you’re going to make candles or birdhouses – in order to earn enough money to buy your food, you have to first work and then pay taxes on your income.  Then you buy your food from after-tax money.  When you do that, you’re paying retail price while the grower gets about 20% of the retail.  The remaining 80% is split up between the wholesaler, transportation and the retail store.  That means if you earn $1 and you pay 20% in taxes, you now have $0.80 to buy food.  If you grew it yourself, it would cost just 20% of that $0.80 which equals an amazing $0.16.

Let’s say it’s lettuce.  You can grow $0.16 worth of lettuce in your own SFG and you can put the other $0.84 in the bank.  Can you see the huge amount of savings if you grow your own?  In addition, by growing your own instead of buying it retail you could think of it as your own home business.  The only difference is that you’re going to sell the produce to yourself at that $0.16 cost.  To start your own home business SFG, you don’t need the following:

  • No investment
  • No knowledge
  • No tools
  • No supplies
  • No transportation
  • No contracts
  • No buyer
  • No economic conditions
  • No license/permits
  • No taxes to pay
  • No shopping needed
  • No lawyers

What You Need

What you DO need is some scrap lumber and a home compost pile.  Everything is free and then it’s merely your labor – but as we know, a SFG takes so little time that you can build, plant, tend and harvest a square foot garden in the same amount of time that it takes you to drive to the store and buy your groceries each week.

So what does all of this have to do with world hunger, or how to cut your food bill in half?  Let’s consider world hunger a worldwide problem.  It starts right in your own home.  You may not be starving.  You may not even be hungry, but if you start your own SFG you can better learn the solution to world hunger.  From your own experience you will be able to realize that SFG could solve world hunger.  You could become a part of that solution by encouraging others to do what you have just accomplished.