We can train you to become a certified SFG Instructor and then you can teach the rest of the world how they too can become a Square Foot Gardener and reap all the benefits of this simplified method.
How Can I Become a Certified Instructor?
- Come to any one of our three-day symposiums held around the country
- Take our home study course and study by yourself
- Create a small group of 4+ people and get a reduced rate, then do a group study and graduation. We also offer a special course for college students wanting extra special credit with their school.
Once you graduate and receive your diploma, you are free and encouraged to go out in your neighborhood and start spreading the word. Here are just some of the things you can do if you are a Certified SFG Instructor.
Start a Small Business
Once you become certified and have your diploma, you can hold the following events. It’s up to you if you want to charge or host them for free!
- 60-minute introductory talks
- 3-hour lessons
- 1- or 2-hour workshops (can be given at your garden or local display SFG)
- Set up a local SFG club meeting alternating at each member’s house
You can also have a small business by selling SFG products or services relating to SFG. These can consist of:
- Books and videos (you buy wholesale from SFG Foundation, sell retail to your customers)
- Kits and supplies (same as above, although if approved by your sending sample and getting approval from foundation, you could make and sell your own SFG kits)
- Install SFG for customers in their yard, even plant and take care of if they desire
- Lil farmers’ market (grow and sell from community gardens or your home garden)
- Set up a seasonal storefront operation from either rented space or within existing market location, such as nursery, farmers’ market, garden supply center to become a dealer and sell in large quantities to local buyers for resale
- Supplier of SFG products, submit sample to SFG for approval, and then start your business
Create Display Gardens
We offer a grant to get you started! Set up, install, care for a 4’x4’ display garden with or without a tomato tower. These will help you show off your SFG knowledge and spur more speaking engagements and product sales for you. Set one up at any of the following locations:
- Municipalities’ properties
- Police and firehouse stations
- County agricultural agent
- Master gardener location
- Town libraries
- Any denominational churches
- Fitness centers
- Nearby botanical gardens
- Private nurseries
- Any location dealing with garden supplies, like big box stores, hardware stores, mom & pop stores (fruit and vegetable stores)
Start Community Gardens
We have rules for setting up and running a community garden that could be put in the following locations:
- City parks
- Private nurseries
- Any and all from #3 above
- A new idea: indoor winter gardens with special LED grow lights at stores and mall-rented space
- School programs
Other Opportunities as a Certified SFG Instructor
You can be a volunteer or paid consultant to show classes, teachers, or PTA how to implement SFG in schools. It makes an absolutely wonderful classroom science project!
- Available for public and private schools
- After school groups, including Future Farmers of America
- Any youth group, church, public or private
Build Soup and Salad Gardens
If you want to stretch your SFG muscle for the poor and hungry, this option is for you. Especially suited for teaching the poor, hungry or homeless how to become more self-sufficient growing their own food, set up and run at the following:
- Soup kitchens
- Homeless shelters
- Low-income housing
- Battered women homes
- Youth centers
- YMCA, YWCA and other group centers
- Rehabilitation centers
As you can see, there are almost infinite things you can do as a Certified SFG Instructor. If you’re interested, the entire course only costs $81 right now in our store. Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you’re rustled up 4 or more people and would like to know about the bulk rate.
*Featured Picture is from Sangeeta, showing off her beautiful SFG!